Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe, Comfort Food Classic Eats
Here is a Crock Pot recipe I have been making for years. It is called a “traditional” dish, but I find this to be just a bit different than your usual Spaghetti with red sauce.
The meatballs, made from scratch, are easy to make and taste very classic, but the sauce is more of a vegetable mix of aromatics including chopped carrots, celery, tomatoes, and onions with a little bit of tomato sauce in it (and a little wine too). Serve a big bowl of spaghetti along with a simple green salad on the side for a yummy Italian-style dinner. Made in your slow cooker, this cooks all day and starts to make you hungry, it smells so good!
Wonderfully old-fashioned comfort food made in your slow cooker. Serves the whole family!
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk Celery, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 8-ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 2 14.5-ounce cans "Italian-Style" Diced Tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup dry Red Wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves (removed from stems and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (or freshly ground Pepper)
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 pound mild Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry Breadcrumbs (Italian Style)
- 1 Egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole Milk
- 1 pound dry Spaghetti Noodles
- Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
Add all the sauce ingredients into your slow cooker and stir together well.
Place all meatball ingredients (beef, sausage, breadcrumbs, egg, milk) in a large bowl and combine together well, using your hands.
Form meatballs (about 20 to 22 of them) by rolling meat mixture between the palms of your hands to create 1-½ inch balls.
In your slow cooker, carefully place all the meatballs on top of your sauce - in a single layer to cover the top, if you can. (NOTE: I have a 5-quart Rival Crock-Pot, and the meatballs all fit in one layer if placed closely together).
Cover and cook on LOW setting for about 7 to 8 hours.
Cook spaghetti noodles and place in large pasta dish/platter. Spoon sauce and meatballs, as desired, over your cooked noodles.
Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
- If your Italian Sausage is in a casing, remove the casing and just use the meat inside.
- Cook the amount of Spaghetti noodles you need for serving - or, just make the whole package and have some leftovers.
- For best flavor, be sure to use fresh Parmesan Cheese, grated directly from the block of cheese over your Spaghetti and Meatballs dish. Yay!
Enjoy the Eats! #yummy #recipe