Review of Degustabox Food Box with Product Taste Test
Degustabox is a monthly surprise box of food products that you order by subscription. Each month, subscribers receive a box filled with assorted food items. Degustabox is different than some of the other subscription boxes in that there is no monthly theme, but rather a random assortment of foods including mixes, pastas, crackers, sauces, snacks, drinks, candy and other sweet treats, and lots more – you really never know exactly what you’ll get, and that’s so much a part of the fun. Degustabox specializes in sending full-sized products rather than sample sizes, which is really nice.
The box sent for March contained ten products, most of which were new to me. After trying out the majority of the products sent, here is my opinion along with my personal rating from 1 to 4 stars (4 being tops for yumminess!):
Taste Test Report for the food products in the March 2017 Degustabox
Ratings: 4 stars = Super Yummy; 3 stars = Yummy; 2 stars = Meh; 1 star = Yucky
- GOYA QUINOA BLEND : Flavor “Black Beans, Bell Peppers and Spices” — This is a blend of mostly White Quinoa and Brown Rice with a little bit of flavorings, perfect as a healthy side dish. We had this for dinner as a side with chicken and thought it was decent, though a bit bland in flavor. This does have a healthy quality to it, without the typical chemical taste that seems to go hand-in-hand with many packaged rice mixes. Just a wee bit salty, but as a whole – pretty good. ***
- PAUL’S FINEST Quinoa Bar with Nuts, Seeds and Honey — A rather fancy little box that contained five 0.88 ounce Quinoa Bars that are made of a simple list of natural, healthy ingredients. Rather sticky little bars that taste very healthy, not too sweet and chock full of nuts, seeds, and a little fruit (dates, strawberry). Though these are a wee bit bland in flavor, I think this is actually a perfect little snack for someone looking for a more natural, healthy alternative to a candy bar. These sort of grew on me – pretty darn good. *** ½
- BOBOLI Original Crust — This is a pre-made pizza crust that has been around for quite a few years. I actually haven’t bought one of these crusts in quite a long time, so was happy to try this again and make a homemade pizza! Degustabox included a recipe for this crust called “Tomato Bread Pizza” which I decided to make. It was easy and came out really yummy. I added some pieces of chicken on the top of this, which I had leftover from a roasted chicken. That made this pizza especially good. Can’t go wrong with a Bobili! ****
- GOOD THINS : Sweet Potato — Potato snack product that is sort of between a thin cracker and a potato chip. Being made of sweet potatoes, this crunchy snack was rather sweet (there is also added brown sugar, per the list of ingredients). I am definitely NOT a fan of sweet potatoes, but I do love chips and found these to be pretty good – though I would probably not purchase these again as they do taste really strongly of sweet potato. These are baked, by the way, I suppose to make them healthier (though these don’t particularly taste all that healthy to me, I wouldn’t want to eat too many in one sitting!). ***
- LOACKER Gran Pasticceria : Flavor “Tortina Dark-Noir” — A box containing three 0.74 oz. individually wrapped cookies. This is a dark chocolate covered cookie wafer that is very rich and really delicious (very nice quality chocolate) – wish there was more than three! The box says there is a hazelnut cream layer as part of the cookie, but I couldn’t actually taste that. Still, doesn’t matter ’cause this cookie is yum, yum, yum. ****
- MRS. THINSTER’S Cookie Thins : Flavor “Chocolate Chip” — Small and thin and very crunchy little chocolate chip cookies that have close to the taste of a homemade chocolate chip cookie (though these are quite a bit more sweet). They have the taste of lots of brown sugar and are actually quite good, though I can only eat a couple of these before feeling like I am on sugar overload. Degustabox sent a 4 ounce bag of these cookies, which is a nice size – most of the cookies in the bag were broken in half or in pieces, but the flavor is still good (I think they were a bit crushed under other products in the delivery box). I would have given this product 4 stars if it were just a wee bit less sweet.*** ¾
- LEMONCOCCO “Bevanda Fresca Italiana” — Described on the can as “A Taste of Roma”, this is a lemon and coconut flavored beverage that comes in a soda-style can but is non-carbonated. This tastes mostly like lemonade (except a bit less sweet) with a very little hint of the coconut flavor. Pretty good (though doesn’t “wow” me – I think it needs more coconut). “Inspired by the classic lemon and coconut drink stands found along the cobblestoned streets of Rome”, as it tells us on the can. ***
- 7 DAYS Soft Croissant : Flavor “Peant Butter Creme and Jelly” — Doughy sweet roll with a creamy filling that tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Very yummy. This “snack in a bag” would be perfect as a breakfast pastry with your morning coffee. ****
- ENERGEMS Chocolate Energy : “Mint Dark Chocolate” Flavor — A bottle of these were sent in the Degustabox I received last October and I didn’t care for them (the flavor was “Dark Chocolate”). Here is what I wrote about them —- “This was a bottle of 21 “GEMS”, described as a dietary supplement. These look like big chocolate coated M&M’S and taste like a mix of chocolate and chemicals. They contain caffeine to give you a boost of energy. Sort of odd. I ate half of one to test out how this affected me (made me feel a bit too hopped-up) – I think I would just prefer a cup of coffee.” —- I thought these tasted better with the mint, but I still don’t like them very much. **
- TOLERANT Organic Chickpea Pasta “Penne” — This is an 8 ounce box of pasta made with just two ingredients: Organic Chickpea Flour and Organic White Rice Flour — with no other ingredients, this sounds very healthy to me. I have not tried this out yet, but am very interested in this product and think it would be great in a pasta salad.
Summary and Subscription Information : plus discount offer for your first box (Yes, Yes, Yes!):
I was very pleased with the selection and variety of products in this month’s box – I actually think this was the best Degustabox I have received, with lots of 3 to 4 star “yummy” ratings from me for the food items sent. I particularly liked the Loacker Chocolate Wafers – so delicious. I also really liked the Peanut Butter and Jelly filled croissant from “7 Days”. To see some of the other reviews I have done for this subscription box, search this site (search box at top) for “Degustabox” (or look in the category “Food Subscription Box Reviews”).
If you are interested in trying out a Degustabox for yourself, here’s the details you need to know : the box costs $19.99 a month and shipping is free. Degustabox is offered as a monthly subscription, so you will receive one box a month and will be surprised with 10 to 15 full-size goodies (both sweet and savory) in each month’s box. The total value of the products sent will exceed the cost of your box and you can unsubscribe whenever you like. The Degustabox USA box delivery is available for residents living in the 48 Contiguous United States. Here is a 50 percent off discount to save money on your first box order :
Enjoy the Eats!
Disclosure: I was sent this box for free in exchange for my honest review. I was not compensated for the review and all opinions are my own.