My Degustabox Review : Products Tasted, Reviewed, and Rated
Degustabox is a surprise food box that arrives at your door each month, filled up with all sorts of foods, goodies, and treats to try out. These are full-sized products and not samples, which I think is very cool. This is ordered as a monthly subscription – I have been receiving this for several months now and love the surprise I get each time I see what yummy eats are inside the box for me to try! Degustabox is the sort of box that is perfect for foodies who love to try out new products and sample lots of different types of flavors, seasonings, and tastes as this box always includes a variety of different things – some sweet, some savory. There are snacks, candy, sauces, condiments, drinks, you name it : the content of your box is different each time. Here’s the scoop on the food items included in this month’s box, along with my opinions on each product. If you are interested, see below my Taste Test review for details on subscribing to this box, plus a special discount for your first order.
Taste Test Report for the food products in the October 2016 Degustabox
Ratings: 4 stars = Super Yummy; 3 stars = Yummy; 2 stars = Meh; 1 star = Yucky
- HOMETOWN BAGEL Bagel Chips : “Cinnamon” Flavor — Chips that are very crisp bagel slices, lightly flavored with cinnamon. They are mild in flavor – and fairly addictive. *** ½
- HOMETOWN BAGEL Bagel Chips : “Garlic” Flavor — Very crisp, with a nice taste of garlic. I thought these little Bagel Chips would be absolute perfection as croutons on a salad – so that’s what I did. I was right, these worked so well as a salad topping – and are great by themselves too! Really yummy. ****
- CROWN NUT CO. Sriracha Almonds — I love flavored nuts, so was happy to see this product in this month’s Degustabox. These are whole almonds, lightly flavored with a Sriracha seasoning – not overly spicy, healthy tasting, and quite yummy (especially as I got near the bottom of the bag, where there was more of the seasoning gathering up!). *** ½
- LA TORTILLA FACTORY : Low-Carb Flour Tortillas — These are 8-inch whole wheat tortillas that I thought were decent, though a bit gummy/rubbery – and slightly bland. I really think just regular flour tortillas are best, unless you are on a low-carb diet. We used these for some Chicken Fajitas topped with avocado and salsa, which tasted good but, again, the tortilla part of this dish was a wee bland. ***
- PALO POPCORN : “White Cheddar Cheese” Flavor — A 1.2 oz bag of popcorn with a strong cheese flavor. Yum! This is really good. I do love flavored popcorns, I was glad to get a chance to try this product. ****
- PALO POPCORN : “Bacon Cheddar” Flavor — —- A 1.2 oz bag of popcorn with a strong meat flavor that reminds me of a sausage or beef stick kind of taste, sort of jerky-like. The cheese taste is underneath that of the meat. Pretty good, though slightly strange taste for popcorn – will have to get used to it. I think I like this (yes, my rating has been going up on this the more I eat of it). *** ½
- LOVELY CANDY CO. : Super Fruit Chews “Blueberry, Cranberry, and Raspberry” Flavors — This was a 2 ounce bag of individually wrapped candies. Chewy little squares that have a pure fruit taste and are flecked with little bits of what looks like real fruit. These reminded me of Starbursts in size and texture, but the flavors are less strong (though more natural tasting). Pretty decent (a small complaint: the wrappers are a little hard to get off). ***
- WASA THINS : “Sesame and Sea Salt” Flatbread — This company has been around since 1919. This was a 6.7 oz box with two individually wrapped packages of thin flatbread crackers. These are the size of Graham Crackers and are quite crisp, with the perfect amount of saltiness to them. The hint of sesame taste is nice, the overall flavor is healthy and pure (short list of natural ingredients). These are really excellent. ****
- JONES CANE SUGAR SODA : Flavor “Pumpkin Pie Soda” — This tastes kind of like a lemon-lime type soda (reminded me of Sprite) mixed with a pumpkin pie spice blend, strong on the cinnamon and with a lingering aftertaste of spices. This soda is very sweet! I don’t drink very much soda or soft drinks, this seemed pretty good – but just so sweet, I could only drink a couple of sips at one sitting. ***
- BARILLA Marinara Sauce — A very fresh tasting tomato sauce that is packed with garlic flavor – I’m a garlic fan (and so is my hubby), so we both really enjoyed this sauce. We served this sauce with the BARILLA Penne (see next product below). *** ½
- BARILLA ProteinPLUS Penne Pasta — Degustabox included a simple recipe for a pasta dish using the BARILLA Marinara Sauce and the Penne, so that is what I made with this product. This was a very basic pasta recipe with just Romano Cheese and chopped fresh Oregano on top of the pasta noodles and sauce. Very easy to prepare, I decided to add some chicken thigh meat (which I baked and sliced off the bone) to this dish for extra flavor. This was a fairly tasty dish – at first the Penne tasted pretty much like every other Penne I have had, but I am going to add that it had turned rather gummy and a bit odd tasting for the leftovers I heated the next day. I would guess the added protein in this product is for vegetarians to boost up the protein in their diet, which I guess might be a reason for using this product. **
- ENERGEMS Chocolate Energy : “Dark Chocolate” Flavor — This was a bottle of 21 “GEMS”, described as a dietary supplement. These look like big chocolate coated M&M’S and taste like a mix of chocolate and chemicals. They contain caffeine to give you a boost of energy. Sort of odd. I ate half of one to test out how this affected me (made me feel a bit too hopped-up) – I think I would just prefer a cup of coffee. **
- NUMI Organic Tea : Mini Sampler — This was a little sampler box with eight tea bags of assorted flavors like “Rooibos Chai”, “Chamomile Lemon”, “Moroccan Mint” and more. I didn’t sample this yet, as I am not much of a tea drinker – the flavors definitely look interesting. I have my eye on the “Orange Spice”.
Summary and Subscription Information:
This was another enjoyable box of products sent by Degustabox. I especially liked the PALO Popcorn products – and, also, the Wasa Thins are a cracker that I will be adding to my list as a regular cracker purchase, love them! If you have an interest in seeing what other products were featured in previous Degustabox boxes, search this site for “Degustabox” (or look under category “Food Subscription Box Reviews”).
If you are interested in trying out a Degustabox for yourself, here’s the details you need to know : the box costs $19.99 a month and shipping is free. This is a monthly subscription, so you will receive one box a month and will be surprised with 10 to 15 goodies (both sweet and savory) in each box. The total value of the products sent will exceed the cost of your box and you can unsubscribe whenever you like. The Degustabox USA box delivery is available for residents living in the 48 Contiguous United States. Here is a 50 percent off discount to save money on your first box order :
Get 50% off your first Degustabox! You will enjoy receiving 10-15 FULL-SIZE tasty goodies delivered straight to your door for just $9.99! Shipping is free!
Enjoy the Eats!
Disclosure: I was sent this box for free in exchange for my honest review. I was not compensated for the review and all opinions are my own.